Sunday 26 April 2009

Some more pretty cakes


My cupcake experiment continues!


This time, though, I thought I'd try mini cupcakes and use my icing syringe for the piping.  And instead of using double the weight of icing sugar to butter I've used a recipe that uses four times as much sugar compared to butter (plus a splash of milk).  The end result is much stiffer (possibly a little to stiff?) than the one I used previously and is a lot easier to work with.  Not surprisingly though this does make a VERY sweet buttercream.


I also used a slight different recipe for the cake this time - the standard 2 eggs and 4oz of everything else PLUS an extra teaspoon of baking powder.  They came out very well but I still think the 4, 5, 6 recipe (see here for a previous discussion on this subject) is the best if you want a really light sponge.


Overall I'm pretty happy with how they turned out but I'd still like improve consistency of my piping skills - it's so hard to make them all look the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment