Friday 8 May 2009

What a difference a light box makes....

Since I started up my blog and while reading the some of the many other amazing blogs out there it has become more and more apparent that one of the secrets of a good food blog is good photography.  I've come to the conclusion that some of my earlier efforts were really pretty poor and that I Must Try Harder!  So I've been playing around with different angles, close-ups etc and I think I have made some improvements however it has also become clear that the three most important elements of a good food photograph are lighting, Lighting and, of course, LIGHTING!  

Unfortunately I don't have the funds to invest in a lot of new photographic equipment (a proper DSLR camera will have to wait until another day!) so I have no option but to just do the best I can with my little point-and-shoot.  Luckily, there is a lot of good advice out there in www land and I recently happened across a step-by-step guide to making your own light box.  So, make my own light box is what I did and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the results.  

Regular counter-top shot


Light box shot (with a little bit of editing)


It's not perfect, but it's a start.  Plus it will give me a lot more scope to play around with different coloured backgrounds etc.

The DIY light box instructions can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment