Monday 31 August 2009

A recipe to keep you going....

The redesigning of my kitchen is now well under way which is fabulous but does, however, leave me without a kitchen to call my own at the moment. Fortunately, my parents in-law have very kindly allowed us the use of their house while they are on holiday, which is much appreciated, however I find there is something rather unsettling about trying to cook in someone else's kitchen! Even the simplest of tasks take more time than they should while I search for things that I could find blindfolded in my own kitchen, or suddenly find myself without a particular ingredient that I would usually take for granted. As a result my baking and creative cooking have been somewhat put on hold for the time being.

To keep my little blog ticking over in the meantime I thought I'd post about a recipe I made recently and put aside on the "to blog about" pile. This is a great muffin recipe, one of my favourites in fact. They are pretty healthy, quick to make and, unusually for muffins, they keep for ages. Oh, and, thanks to the energy-giving oats they'll definitely "keep you going" too - I love them for breakfast or as a mid-morning snack.


Feel-good muffins
(from Good Food Magazine February 2003)

175g/6oz self-raising flour
50g/2oz porridge oats
140g/5oz muscovado sugar (regular caster sugar also work just fine)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 egg, beaten
150ml/1/4 pint buttermilk (a mix of half milk and half natural yoghurt works just as well)
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp sunflower oil
175g/6oz stoned prunes, chopped
85g/3oz pecans

1) Preheat the oven to 200c/gas 6/fan 180c. Line a muffin tray with 6-8 muffin cases.

2) Put the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl and mix together.

3) Beat the egg then stir in the buttermilk, vanilla and oil. Lightly stir the egg mixture into the flour.

4) Fold in the prunes and pecans.

5) Divide between the muffin cases then bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Serve warm or cold.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog re. 5 minute choc.cupcake. You could be right about not mixing the ingredients properly, but I did try it several times without much success. However, I do have a definitive choc. cake which I have been making for years - it takes longer but is delicious - (http://beadbagsfoodee.blogspot.com/2009/05/chocolate-cake.html)
    Kind regards, Shirley I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins look tasty. Kitchen renovations are very exciting! I bet you'll have a blast in your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete