Sunday 5 June 2011

Fairy Cakes



Why don't I make fairy cakes more often? And I don't mean enormous cupcakes, or anything involving a piping bag. Just dinky little fairy cakes with a bit of glace icing on the top and scattered with sweets or sprinkles. They are so easy and quick to make and taste fabulous, yet somehow I only end up making them for birthdays and children's parties.


I decided to rectify that today though by making a huge batch to take to work tomorrow. This was inspired in part by the cupcake party my daughter recently had for her birthday (run by The Suffolk Cupcake Company, who did a fab job) as the lovely lady hosting it left me all the unfinished tubs of sprinkles and I've been waiting for an excuse to use them.


Here's the recipe I used...

Fairy Cakes

2 eggs
4 oz self-raising flour
4 oz sugar
4 oz butter or margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsps milk

1) Preheat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4. Line a bun tin with cake cases (I use the smaller fairy cake cases for this recipe)

2) Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

3) Add the eggs and beat in thoroughly. Don't worry if it curdles a little.

4) Add the flour, vanilla and milk until you have a mixture with a soft, dropping consistency.

5) Spoon into cases and bake for 12-15 minutes until the cakes spring bake when lightly pressed.

Makes about 18 cakes.

For the icing you just need to follow the instructions on the back of the icing sugar packet. Don't hold back on the quantities though - the more the better in my opinion. Then add any colour you like and use any decorations that take your fancy.

Go forth and bake!


2 comments:

  1. And don't they look lovely too. I bet your popular tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww they are all so pretty! I love sprinkles :)

    I prefer fairy cakes over cupcakes, and probably bake them far more than anything else! Are always very popular at work! Think are they more bitesize and therefore more appealing!

    ReplyDelete